Many people get microdermabrasion without knowing all about it, thinking it will improve the quality of their skin.
Because Laser By Sia is dedicated to arming everyone with the skin care facts so they can make informed decisions about their treatments, here are a few things you need to know about microdermabrasion:
- Microdermabrasion involves removing the upper layers of the epidermis using aluminum oxide crystals.
- This actions ‘smoothes’ the surface of the skin, which makes some people feel like their skin looks younger or absorbs product better.
- The idea that microdermabrasion removes wrinkles and scars is incorrect—wrinkles originate in the skin’s lower layer, the dermis, where as microdermabrasion only smoothes the upper epidermis and cannot affect the dermis.
- Microdermabrasion can also cause skin damage by impairing the skin’s epidermal barrier. This barrier protects the skin from pollutants and irritants. So when it is chronically over exfoliated, problems like eczema and rosacea can develop.
- Microdermabrasion can also accelerate aging by not only damaging the epidermal barrier so that blood and nutrients must be diverted from the dermis to fix it, but also by causing scar tissue to build up between the dermis and the epidermis, so that nutrients applied to the skin cannot reach the dermis.
For true anti aging, you must prompt the release of collagen and elastin at a dermal level, either through thermal stimulation, like our skin firming treatment; or through mildly wounding the skin, like our Derma Pen. Contact us now for more information!